- Adoptions Fees – We reserve the right¬†to set adoption fees at our discretion. Adoption fees
serve to protect¬†reptiles¬†from individuals who would exploit the adoption process for commercial
breeding or resale. 100% of adoption fees go toward operating expenses¬†at Forgotten Friend.¬†We aim to keep any fees significantly lower than market prices to¬†make reptile adoptions more affordable to good homes. We also¬†reserve the right to lower or waive adoption fees at our discretion¬†if it helps¬†place reptiles in the best homes.
- Age Requirements – You must be 18¬†to adopt a reptile through Forgotten Friend (sorry kids).
- We¬†only provide adoptions to experienced reptile keepers¬†and reserve the right to refuse adoption to anyone at our discretion.
- While¬†we accept scheduled reptile drop-offs from anywhere, we will make free¬†local pick-ups within Lancaster County, PA whenever¬†possible. We never charge a dime to take in a reptile, although we operate on your generosity and donations are greatly appreciated.
- Forgotten¬†Friend is a private nonprofit organization with limited space¬†and resources. We are very serious about not over-crowding or neglecting the animals in our care,¬†and must turn away reptiles in some cases. If we can’t¬†take in your reptile here at the rescue, we’ll still help you¬†find a home for it while it remains in your care. Our Public Reptile Adoption Forum and our extensive Reptile Rescue Network are tools to¬†help anyone who has to give up a reptile.
- Forgotten Friend does NOT provide adoptions for¬†the purpose of resale or commercial breeding. Although we appreciate responsible captive breeding projects, we must avoid these types of adoptions due to conflicts of interest. However, we have placed animals in conservation breeding projects like Turtle Survival Alliance, and we may consider these exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
- We reserve the right to ask for pictures¬†of your setup, or¬†send someone out for a site visit to make sure your setup is appropriate for¬†the reptile you plan to adopt. Being untruthful during the adoption process will eliminate¬†you as a¬†future¬†home for any of our reptiles, so please be truthful. Remember¬†we want these guys to go to the best homes.
- As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit¬†organization, we hold ourselves to a high standard with¬†rescue finances. We believe in budgeting and¬†keeping clear financial records. All checks to the rescue should be made payable to “Forgotten Friend, Inc.” and all PayPal donations go to email@example.com.