Glad you are here! We get five to ten animal intake requests per day. As a small organization, we don’t have the time or the staff to meet with that many people per day, or the ability to take in that many animals. We would need to find space for them, feed them, care for them, socialize them, list them for adoption, screen potential homes, meet with adopters, and adopt them all out again. Until a billionaire decides to fund us with a full time staff and giant property, we simply don’t have the space or resources to accept every intake request. That’s why we reserve the spots at our rescue for emergencies, and we ask capable owners to post their reptiles for adoption through our Facebook page. It’s actually really easy, really effective, and this page will show you how.
Posting your reptile for adoption
- 1. Visit Facebook.com/forgottenfriend
- 2. Under “Create Post” include a photo or photos of your adoptable reptile(s) and briefly share your story.¬†¬†
- 3. Your story should include basic info about your adoptable pet(s) and your general LOCATION, typically town and state. You will need to communicate with potential homes, so either include phone or email or monitor the post closely to make sure you can respond to any comments or private messages.
- 4.¬†Once you click “Post” your adoption listing seems to disappear. This can be confusing, but don’t worry! You did it right. Facebook doesn’t allow visitor posts to appear on our front page, so they “disappear” and “reappear” in our “Visitor Posts” section. You should be able to find it there.
- 5. When people click on your post, they can see the whole thing.
Additionally, we will repost many of these listings so they are seen by even more people. We also highlight them every month at¬†Lancaster Herpetological Society meetings and other places. We have thousands of followers who may see AND SHARE your post. So this is a great opportunity to get your post in front of lots of people who love reptiles.
This is not a “FOR SALE” page. You are welcome to ask small adoption fees on our page, which we prefer that you donate to an animal rescue (could be a donation to us or your local shelter). If you want to buy and sell reptiles or supplies, this is not the place to do that. We suggest PA Reptile Classifieds or similar pages if you are trying to buy and sell.
Screening potential homes
If you are unsure how to screen homes, feel free to borrow some of the questions from our adoption application at ForgottenFriend.org/apply. Just take the time to ask some important questions and follow your best judgement. YOU are the best person to talk to potential adopters about your pet. We are glad we can provide a venue to bring adoptable reptiles together with potential adopters, and help you do the rest.
Many people get mad at us because we don’t provide free around-the-clock pickups of any animals they decide to unload. Unfortunately there is no magic phone number you can call to instantly put all unwanted pets in perfect new homes. And if there was, the price tag for that type of service would be astronomical. As a small rescue with little funding, we do our best with the emergency workload we are able to handle. If you are willing to do your part, and invest some time and effort, this page can be a great tool to help you put your pet in a good new situation. Thanks for taking the time and effort to be a responsible pet owner, even when you need to give up your pet.